The New York State Departments of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and Transportation (DOT) announced the release of a draft Remsen-Lake Placid Travel Corridor Unit Management Plan (UMP) Amendment/Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) that includes unique outdoor recreational opportunities for people of various abilities and a unique means of travel to support tourism in the Adirondacks. DEC and DOT solicited public input on a draft scoping document earlier this year to help develop the draft UMP amendment and SEIS, which will help determine the future use of the Remsen to Lake Placid Travel Corridor.
The public comment period has been extended until Jan. 8, 2020.
DEC and DOT recently issued a Final Scope for the proposed Draft UMP Amendment/SEIS after obtaining public comment regarding the future of the corridor. The Draft UMP Amendment/SEIS includes Draft River Area Management Plans for the Main Branch Saranac River, Main Branch Raquette River, Middle Branch Moose River, and North Branch Moose River.
Upon final approval of the Draft UMP Amendment/SEIS, New York State can transfer jurisdiction of the segment of the travel corridor between Tupper Lake and Lake Placid from DOT to DEC and develop a multi-use recreational trail in the DEC-managed segment. The new preferred alternative in the Draft UMP Amendment/SEIS proposes:
- Transfer jurisdiction of the segment of the Travel Corridor between Tupper Lake and Lake Placid from DOT to DEC;
- Development of a multi-use recreational trail in the segment to be managed by DEC; and
- Rehabilitation of the railway between Big Moose and Tupper Lake, which will continue to be managed by DOT.
DEC and DOT are holding three public meetings to outline the proposals in the Draft UMP Amendment/SEIS and receive public comment. The meetings are scheduled as follows:
- Tupper Lake: Dec. 3 from 6 to 8 p.m. at Tupper Lake Middle-High School, 131 Chaney Ave, Tupper Lake, NY 12986
- Lake Placid: Dec. 4 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Lake Placid Conference Center, 2608 Main St., Lake Placid, NY 12946
- Old Forge: Dec. 5 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the View Arts Center, 3256 Rt 28, Old Forge, NY 13420
The Draft UMP Amendment/SEIS can be viewed and downloaded from the DEC website.
The deadline for comments is close of business Jan. 8, 2020. Comments may be provided at any of the public meetings; mailed to John Schmid, NYSDEC, 625 Broadway, Albany, NY, 12233-4254; or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org